RE: Drill Sharpeners

To: "TriumphTeam" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Drill Sharpeners
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 14:07:17 -0700
> I want to re-emphasize what another lister said about roughing the point
> angle in (on a bench grinder) if you use one of the Darex (Drill Doctor)
> products.

This is also mentioned in the instructions.

> If you've
> broken the point right off, you'd have to take a lot of passes at .005
stock
> removal not to mention wear & tear on the wheel.

Not to mention the time involved, the bit has to be reset in the carrier as
well.

> I don't know if the
> sharpeners sold to homeowners will accommodate carbide drills;
> the diamond
> plated wheels necessary for sharpening these would probably be big bux.

Depends on the model, I believe.  The one I have does have a diamond plated
wheel, and supposedly the ability to sharpen carbide, cobalt, TiN and
masonry bits.

But they also make the point that even the diamond wheel has a limited life,
so roughing in a broken bit on a cheap wheel just makes sense.  Depending of
course on how long you're willing to work to save $.50 on a new bit <G>

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org