Drill Sharpeners

To: "TriumphTeam" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Drill Sharpeners
From: "Mark Meany" <mmeany@ne.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:40:20 -0400
I want to re-emphasize what another lister said about roughing the point
angle in (on a bench grinder) if you use one of the Darex (Drill Doctor)
products. My experience with them is that the grinding wheels they use are
plated CBN product so each pass will only remove about .005". If you've
broken the point right off, you'd have to take a lot of passes at .005 stock
removal not to mention wear & tear on the wheel. Roughing in the point angle
doesn't have to be dead nuts on. Eyeballing a 118 degree included angle on a
HSS bit (135 for cobalt) should be sufficient. I don't know if the
sharpeners sold to homeowners will accommodate carbide drills; the diamond
plated wheels necessary for sharpening these would probably be big bux.

Mark Meany (Digest)
'65 TR4A IRS O
Keene, NH

===     http://www.vtr.org