RE: lift a dot

To: "rgt2" <rgt2@sbcglobal.net>, "Triumph List"
Subject: RE: lift a dot
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:50:10 -0700
> I am getting ready to install a tonneau cover on my TR3B.  All of the lift a
> dot studs are in place except for two.  On the rear, just about even with
> the trunk lid hinges are two holes, about 1-1/8 inches apart.  There was
> nothing mounted at this location when I purchased the car so I don't know
> what should be there except for something to attach the hood stick webbing
> to.

Yes, that's where the webbing is attached.  There's a plate that runs between
the two holes, to trap the end of the hood stick webbing.  I don't see a listing
in my Moss catalog for this plate (it's different than the plates on the bows),
but the TRF/Stanpart number is 602033.  The outer hole has a flat head screw in
it, the inner hole takes a "lift the dot" stud with machine threads rather than
sheet metal threads.  ISTR the threads in both holes are "BA" series, not UNF or
metric, but it's possible they are different on a TR3B.  The stud both secures
one side of the plate, and provides an attachment point for the convertible top
or tonneau cover.

> In the Moss catalog there is an item, 226-630, that appears that it could be
> for this purpose, but it is listed as being for a TR4.

Definitely not the right part.  Moss P/N 226-708 might be it, or at least as
close as they offer.

> Also when I ordered some new lift a dot studs from Moss, part 226-708, they
> are longer than the originals that were on the car.  The shank between the
> hex and the groove is about 60 thousands longer on the newer ones than the
> originals.  It doesn't sound like much, but side by side the difference
> looks huge.  Are the newer lift a dots requirring this longer length or does
> it matter?

I believe it only matters if you plan to fit a hardtop (at least on my car, the
top will hit the longer studs).  However, as you note, the shorter studs are
original.  And it seems to me that the longer studs let more air through between
the body and the cover, when driving with the tonneau half on. ISTR seeing some
shorter studs in TRF's display at one of the shows, so you might check with
them.

HTH
Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org