TR Brake Question

Subject: TR Brake Question
From: "Guy D. Huggins" <guy@genfiniti.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 08:43:42 -0600
Listers,

 Just got my right front brake caliper rebuilt (new seals, pistons,
etc.)  After getting it all back together I performed a test and put
about 100psi of air through the system.
The piston on the same side as the air feed came out strong right away.
The opposite piston did not.  I tried a second test where I forced the
moving piston to stay in by clamping it.  On this second test, the
opposite piston did come out, but won't go back in as far as the other.

My conclusion is that the pistons are not equal in terms of how easily
they travel in the cylinders.  Either one is too "loose", or the other
too "tight".  This leads to some questions:

1. Is there a sure-fired way of determining if a piston is "tight" or
"loose"?  How do you know?
2. Is this a big deal?  In the real world on the car, I know that a
balance will be achieved by braking power.  There is a single fluid
channel within the caliper that means both pistons will receive equal
amount of pressure.
3. Or, is number 2 completely wrong, and the reason the one is coming
out easier is because its nearer to the pressure source, indicating that
equal pressure is not being applied on the opposite-side piston?

One more piece of information.  Although both pistons took some light
"persuasion" to drive home in the cylinders, the one that is "tight"
took more than the other.
Any helpful tips and/or tests would be appreciated.

Peace be with you!

Guy D. Huggins

1965 Triumph TR4A
CTC 63569LO