Re: Tenax Question

To: tr3driver@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tenax Question
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:02:40 EST
In a message dated 10/30/2005 12:46:05 AM Central Standard Time,
tr3driver@comcast.net writes:
> >When replacing any of the ten Tenax studs above the windscreen on a side
> >screen car be sure that the replacement stud is the exact same length as
> the
> >original.  Even a few extra mm longer may go through the rubber and into
> the
> >glass.  If the stud touches the glass it will crack the glass which will
> >definitely ruin your day.
>
> Curiously enough, on some windscreens, the Tenax actually goes all the way
> through the frame !  One of our local club members owns a TR3 with the
> apparently ultra-rare aluminum alloy frame (rather than the chromed brass).
> Apparently the aluminum is not strong enough to take threads, so a special
> Tenax
> is used that goes all the way through and has special flat-head nut that
> screws
> on from the other side.
>
> Which of course is not to say Lou is wrong, I just thought it an interesting
> exception.  Several people have searched for the special studs, without
> success,
> so another club member cut a replacement for the missing one on his lathe.

This may be an apples/oranges comparison.  The aluminium frame may have a
larger sectional dimension and the Tenax's may be mounted further out from the
glass, or the glass may be cut slightly smaller.

That said, I have a brass frame and one of the Tenax studs was missing but
there is a through hole there and no evidence of glass in the hole.

Of course that makes me wonder what I will do for the restoration.  I guess I
cound get the hole braised up and redrilled and then get the frame rechromed
(which it needs anyway) or I could source a new frame.  But I don't have to
decide that now.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org