RE: What's that smell?

To: "Joe Merone" <jmerone@rocketmail.com>,
Subject: RE: What's that smell?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:33:13 -0800
> I've recently noticed that in the middle of long and
> hard charge up steep mountain grades I get a strange
> smell in the cockpit.  I'm not talking about the
> occasional hill on the interstate but where you go for
> an extended period in 3rd gear or so.
>
> I thought that it might be oil finding it's way onto
> the exhaust but it's a kind of a rubber meets
> electrical burning thing.  It's strange and worrysome.

In addition to the swinging wire, be sure to check along the exhaust system.
Near the back, it gets a lot hotter under the conditions you describe.  And very
possibly might be overheating, if your engine is running a bit lean at WOT for
some reason.  Hot undercoating smells a bit like you describe.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org