re: TR4 Rubber Door Seals

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: TR4 Rubber Door Seals
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 23:54:25 EST
I too bought TR4 door seals from TRF.
And a nice fellow sent me a cross-section of a NOS TR4 door seal and they
were better than these aftermarket ones.
The OE seals are better because they have to be pinched all along the footing
to get into  the channelling - but once they're in, they don't fall out!
The TRF 'footing' is made smaller so it goes in easy but unfortunately pops
out easy too.
I imagine I am going to have to goop these up with weather stripping glue to
get them to work properly. The original ones fit tighter and required no glue.
Regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

Looking to fit new rubber door seals on the TR4... the original style
with separate fuzzy seals and rubber seals.  The channels are in good
shape -- but the fitting of that hard rubber lip into them is a puzzlement.

Do I slide it in from one end -- this seems easy enough until I get to
the first sharp turn... or does one tuck one lip in and press the other
home along the entire length?

I'm using some silicone spray as a lube as it seemed less troublesome
than dishwashing soap, perhaps petroleum jelly would also be effective.

This is with the replacement seal sold by TRF.  The portion that fits in
the channel being much stiffer than the rubber that forms the seal (and
possibly stiffer than the original though that's difficult to judge by
looking at a 40-year-old seal).

===     http://www.vtr.org