RE: TR3 Overdrive Trans

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Overdrive Trans
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 20:53:56 -0800
> How can I ascertain it is indeed in good working condition before I
> go to all of the trouble with installing it?

Probably the best thing to do is spin it up with a 1/2" reversible drill motor
and see if the OD works.  You can also check the synchro operation to some
extent, by shifting in and out of 2,3,4 with it turning.

Also drain the old oil and look for "sparklies".  And remove the top cover to
inspect the gears.  You can judge the synchro ring condition by measuring how
close the face of the ring comes to the gear.  ISTR .025" is the magic number,
but I'm sure someone will correct me if I've got it wrong.  Also look for broken
gear teeth or signs of erosion/wear on the faces of the teeth.

> will
> intermittently not go into 1st when I first start the car (I have to
> turn it off then restart to get it in),

Have you tried letting the clutch out with the box in neutral, then touching the
synchros in 2nd gear, and then hitting 1st gear again ?  That's frequently what
it took to get my old one into 1st gear.  Fairly normal, as near as I can tell.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org