Re: WD-40 turnover

To: Paul Dorsey <dorpaul@negia.net>, triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: WD-40 turnover
From: "Chas. Schlismann" <racegt6@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 20:39:53 -0800 (PST)
Paul,
  Did your engine rebuilder use asembly lube?   I'd hope so, and if so, forego
using the v. light oils you mention.  By all means spin the engine sans plugs
to build pressure.  If you are hell-bent on putting oil through the spark plug
holes, use a funnel and a glug of motor oil per cyl.

  Did your engine guy advise you of start-up/break-in procedure?  Typically, at
first start-up, run at 2500 rpm for 10-20 minutes, etc.

  FWIW, when I was a kid, WD-40 was not considered a lubricant or penetrating
oil and I still feel that way.  We all had WD-40 in our cars to remove moisture
from wet ignition systems.
  Charlie

Paul Dorsey <dorpaul@negia.net> wrote:
  >Still, I like to spin the engine with the plugs out to fill the oil filter
&
>galleries before starting the first time or after prolonged storage.
>Randall

Exactly, and on top of that I thought a squirt of an aerosal lubricant
inside the opened 'combustion chamber' (w/o spark plugs) might be good for
it.
Most folks who wrote me seemed to say 'it wouldn't hurt' but it 'want
help that much'. Many questioned using WD40; I'll look for something else
at NAPA tomorrow. Does Marvels Mystery Oil come in a spray?

Thanks,
Paul Dorsey

===     http://www.vtr.org