RE: Prop shaft parts

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Prop shaft parts
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 12:36:51 -0800
> I bought a set Hardy Spicer joints to rebuild my prop shaft. I took
> the opportunity to replace the caked grease on the splines of the
> sliding shaft, the cork washer behind the seal is fairly shot, are
> these available,

Not that I'm aware of.

> my initial search showed nothing. Any general advice
> about the prop shaft?

Be sure you don't change the phasing.  The U-joint yoke on one end MUST lie
in the same plane as the other end.

> how important is it to have it balanced after
> fitting the new uj's?

Personal preference to some extent ... but it seems that many originals are
pretty badly out of balance.  Lack of balance just causes vibration which
may or may not be annoying, and tends to loosen fasteners all over the car.

> or is the old jubilee clip trick as good as any.

As good as any, IMO, unless the shaft is bent somehow.  It's mentioned in
the factory manual for my 95 Buick <g>

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org