TR3 engine rebuild (holed piston)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 engine rebuild (holed piston)
From: "Chris Bohn" <cbohn@sidepipe.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 14:55:22 -0800
Friends,

In addition to my TR4A, I've got a 59 3A that I have owned since 1980.  It was
a real sweet ride until it holed a piston in 1990.  I pulled the head then but
haven't done anything to it since.  It has been resting comfortably in the
garage all these years.  Now I am thinking about getting it back on the road.
I've got an AE 87mm "big bore kit" that I bought from Moss years ago.  My
question to the list is, can I just pull the pistons and liners (got a
trap-door pit in my garage that allows easy under-car access) and pop in this
big bore kit...or should I pull the motor and change out the mains and all the
rest of it, a full rebuild.  Prior to the piston holing, the engine ran
strong, but hot oil pressure at 2000 rpm was @55psi, so perhaps the mains are
worn.  I'm also wondering where all those pieces of the piston top wound
up...and I figure the answer can't be good...

Being lazy and prone to path of least work, I'd love to take the shortcut of
just putting in the big bore kit.

I appreciate the list's collective wisdom on this...

Thanks,

Chris

===     http://www.vtr.org