Re: TR3 engine rebuild (holed piston)

To: cbohn@sidepipe.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 engine rebuild (holed piston)
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 18:56:55 EST
In a message dated 3/9/2006 5:22:22 PM Central Standard Time,
cbohn@sidepipe.com writes:
> In addition to my TR4A, I've got a 59 3A that I have owned since 1980.  It
> was
> a real sweet ride until it holed a piston in 1990.  I pulled the head then
> but
> haven't done anything to it since.  It has been resting comfortably in the
> garage all these years.  Now I am thinking about getting it back on the
> road.
> I've got an AE 87mm "big bore kit" that I bought from Moss years ago.  My
> question to the list is, can I just pull the pistons and liners (got a
> trap-door pit in my garage that allows easy under-car access) and pop in
> this
> big bore kit...or should I pull the motor and change out the mains and all
> the
> rest of it, a full rebuild.  Prior to the piston holing, the engine ran
> strong, but hot oil pressure at 2000 rpm was @55psi, so perhaps the mains
> are
> worn.  I'm also wondering where all those pieces of the piston top wound
> up...and I figure the answer can't be good...

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the whole purpose of the wet liners
was to allow insitu overhauls such as this.  You could pull the head (already
done in your case) and drop the pan and then undo the rods and pull the pistons
and liners and fit new pistons, liners and bearings.  You can also replace the
main bearings and the oil pump and your oil pressure should be good as new
(assuming the cam bearings are not toast).

Not a perfect job but should be good for the next 60,000 miles.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org