RE: Re: [TR] TR6 steel wheels

To: "Dan Gillitzer" <dang@ticon.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Re: [TR] TR6 steel wheels
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:38:01 -0800
> Thanks.  You beat me to it.

I don't recall the thread of the stub axle offhand, but I don't think it's
any finer than about 24 tpi.  The TR2-3 workshop manual says to back off the
nut by 1.5-2 flats, or roughly .010" clearance.  The radius of the bearing
is only about .75", while the radius of the wheel is 7.5", so that's roughly
1/8" at the rim ... which jibes pretty good with my memory.

Not an insurmountable problem, but if you are going to start checking wheels
with a dial indicator (as ISTR was suggested), then the advice to consider
the wheel bearing play is reasonable.

Lacking a 15" lathe, I'd want to pull the bearings up snug before using the
hub to check runout.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org