Re: [TR] Resistor Plug Wires

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net (TR list)
Subject: Re: [TR] Resistor Plug Wires
From: tr3driver@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 19:43:46 +0000
From: John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>
>     I was going though old sets of spark plug wires from my TR6 and was
> looking at the resistor ratings.  I have some that are just copper core
> with 0 resistance, some of the older repro sets from TRF that say 16K
> but measure out at more like 4K.  I also have a NOS set of Ripaults that
> say 15K and measure exactly that, and another repro set from an unknown
> source that says 25k Ohms.  I cant find what should be correct for my
> 76.  I've used the copper core set(0 ohm) with no noticable radio
> interference.  Would this be the best set for performance or does it
> really make any difference.

It makes little or no difference to performance, John.  The copper core wires
tend to last longer, but will also supply at least some radio interference to
the fellow next to you trying to listen to a weak AM radio station.  However
using resistor plugs will reduce this a good deal, so it's probably not worth
worrying about.

Long time ago, I bought a set of what I consider the ideal plug wires : tinned
copper conductor with a discrete resistor inside a molded silicone boot.
Unfortunately they don't seem to be made any more and after some 20 years mine
are starting to look a little tired.  Wish I'd bought 2-3 sets so I'd have a
lifetime supply !

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org