Re: [TR] 24 volt startup

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] 24 volt startup
From: Doug Mathews <mathews@uga.edu>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 21:51:05 -0500
Paul,

I'd not use 24 volts, as the starter is not designed to handle that
voltage load and could in fact  burn out along with some of the
ignition components.  There may be other problems with the starter
system, such as voltage drops where you do not want them.
I just got my rebuilt 91 Nissan 4cyl truck engine back in and after
sorting out a few dumb mistakes, the engine did fire, but after it
was warm, the starter would not turn it over.  I went through the
process of taking he starter out, checking all the connections,
making sure all were connected well, and it still would start the car
when cold but not when hot. I got concerned because I thought maybe
there was binding in the engine when warm, so I took the plugs out
after it was warm and would not start and yes, it would turn over
fine.  So back went in  the plugs and it did start!  I shut it off
and it would  not spin enough to start. Now the starter had 240k+
miles on it and last summer a time or 2 it acted real sluggish. since
I had good connectivity, I got a rebuilt starter and put it in (I'm
real good at changing starters on 4cyl Nissan pu's now ;-) ) and
voila....there is no problem now.

So, if your engine spins fine w/o the plugs and has good turn  over
speed, it may be the connections are not good enough or the battery
may not be up to snuff for the engine with the plugs in.  Or the
connections you have do make enough contact to handle the load a
"compressed" engine has.  Is there a way to make a real positive
connection to a really good battery ?  Like the normal battery terminal clamps?

Doug

===     http://www.vtr.org