[TR] 24 volt startup

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] 24 volt startup
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 20:56:09 -0500
Although my freshly rebuilt TR4 engine turns over well with the spark plugs
out (and builds up to 20psi after about 10 seconds of cranking), if you put
the plugs in its quite a different story.  In fact, with the plugs in it
will only turn over 3-4 times.  With jumper cables from my truck's battery
togather with a freshly charged 'jump box' it was still too heavy a load to
start my new engine.
    Tomorrow I was also planning on using another vehicle with more jumper
cables.  If this fails to be enough juice then I might hook up two of the
batteries (red to black)(I forget if this is parallel or series) but it
would yield 24volts.  Since I've only got the starter and coil wired up,
what would be the harm of doing this?

Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3A