RE: [TR] Setting Transmission Shift Detents

To: <MotoPsyche@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Setting Transmission Shift Detents
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:06:39 -0500
Bill,
I'd really be surprised if the binding was caused by excessive spring force.
There simply isn't enough force in a spring to cause the binding.  A more
likely suspect would be a bent rod or a scored one, or a bad ball, if the
problem is in the shifting forks in the first place.  Recommend taking the
shift housing off and look at the rods first.  Then secure it a large vice
or other contraption to hold it and run through the gears.  If you have
binding you should be able to pinpoint the problem.  If there is no binding,
the next thing to check is the piece that goes between the rod and the gear
itself.  If one of those are worn or out of adjustment, it could be causing
your problem.  Of course if its not the selectors, the problem will be in
the gears itself.  I'm not a tranny expert, but I'd go from the simplest to
the more complex.
Pete