RE: [TR] Setting Transmission Shift Detents

To: <MotoPsyche@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Setting Transmission Shift Detents
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:51:49 -0800
> With the gearbox out of the car, I'm ready to tackle the
> difficult  shifting.
>  It seems to take an inordinate amount of effort to move into
> gears through
> neutral, and I'm thinking it may have something to do with the  amount of
> spring force on the detents that regulate the shifting  forks.
>
> Any advice on what to look for or how to modify this aspect of the  shift
> linkage?

I will second what others have said, I doubt those detents are the problem,
unless perhaps someone has assembled the wrong parts into the top cover.

If you are sure the problem is in the top cover (there is a specification in
the book for how much force it takes to move the rails with the cover not
installed on the gearbox), then my candidate for "most likely" is that the
shift interlock was not properly assembled.  I've seen several top covers
where someone let one of the balls fall out of it's proper location during
assembly (there is a cavity that can trap the balls) and later on the center
pin got out of place and started chewing the housing up from the inside.
Easiest cure for this condition is a new housing, although your old one
might still work OK if you put the right parts in the right place.

As I recall the spec for shift force went up with the later boxes (and
modified detents).  I don't have a TR6 manual handy to check, but maybe
someone else does and will post the info.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org