Re: [TR] TR4 popping out of second gear

To: markvaden@gmail.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 popping out of second gear
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:41:55 EST
In a message dated 3/21/2006 1:46:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
markvaden@gmail.com writes:

> Hi,
>
> My TR4 pops out of second gear when the engine brakes. I suspect that
> the likely cause is worn out dog teeth, but someone awhile ago
> mentioned to me that it could be a worn out shift fork. Has anyone
> else experienced a worn out shift for causing a gearbox to pop out of
> second gear? From looking at the manual, I can change the shifter fork
> by just removing the top cover from the gearbox - which seems a whole
> lot easier than changing a gear/synchro internal to the gearbox.
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> -Mark

Mark,
The TR250 was popping out of 3rd gear right after a rebuild. I tightened up
the screws on the selector shaft just a bit and it has run OK that way for
several years now. As I recall there are 3 of them right on the top cover and
an
easy procedure to adjust as outlined in the manuals.  Probably this is masking
another problem like worn dog teeth but it worked for me.  BTW the forks were
new in my box.
Cheers,
Darrell

===     http://www.vtr.org