RE: [TR] leaking carburator

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] leaking carburator
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 19:11:42 -0800
> I have one carb on a TR3A that leaks and it appears to be from
> the bottom of
> the rear carb where the fuel mixture screw sits.  I have replaced the cork
> gasket and o rings in this area but it still leaks.  Does the brass cupped
> washers that sit against the o rings cup towards the o ring or away?

The cup goes towards the O-ring (which of course was originally not an
O-ring but a cork sleeve).  The seat angles the other way, so the result is
kind of like |> .

> Any other suggestions?

Have you inspected the seats that the O-rings fit against ?  They need to be
in good shape, and most importantly, not have any old gaskets or washers
lurking inside.  You should be able to clearly see that they are brass.

Always a good idea to replace the spring that goes between the two cups,
IMO.

Double-checked the float level ?  Replaced the jet ?  (Factory jets are one
piece at the bottom but I've seen aftermarket jets that are not.  If there
is a screw that holds the linkage bracket to the jet, it could leak.)

It can be tough to tell where it's really leaking.  Since the bottom of the
jet is the lowest point, it tends to get blamed.  My next step (if none of
the above works) would probably be to paint the area with spray-on foot
powder or something similar, to try to see just where it's really leaking.

Did you compare to the front carb to ensure all pieces are present and
accounted for ?  Especially the copper washers that seal the two halves of
the jet bearing to the housing and nut ?

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org