RE: [TR] leaking carburator

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] leaking carburator
From: "Richard Alexander" <RALEXANDER@smail.umaryland.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:25:57 -0500
>I have one carb on a TR3A that leaks and it appears to be from the bottom of
>the rear carb where the fuel mixture screw sits.  I have replaced the cork
>gasket and o rings in this area but it still leaks.  Does the brass cupped
>washers that sit against the o rings cup towards the o ring or away?

I would suggest you rebuild the jet assembly and replace all the disposables
including the O-rings, upper jet bearing washer and lower jet bearing washer
and cupped washers. The jet should be OK unless the needle has not been
centered but it is easliy replaced also. You can do this with the carb on the
manifold, you will have to re-center the jet on the needle but that is
straightforward with the carb in the car. When you have the whole thing apart
make sure, as Randall says, that all previous washers and cork gland seals are
out of the jet bearings, then really clean them up and polish them. Use cotton
tip swabs and Brasso and you can get the bearing surfaces in contact with the
glands (in your case the replacement O-rings) really clean and shiny. Also
polish the jet to have all the surfaces very clean. Inspect the jet bearings
closely as they can get nicks in them from previous dismantling. These can be
replaced also. Check the bearing surface of the machined boss that acc!
 epts the jet assembly in the carb body making sure no other washers are stuck
in there and that the surface is in good shape and clean so the bearings and
jet will line up properly. If you use the cork gland seals soak them in oil
first, not necessary if you are sticking with the replacement O-rings.

The annulus of fuel that is constructed around the jet is the biggest
shortcoming of the H design and was the reason for the change in the HD and HS
series designs. Good luck
-rich-

===     http://www.vtr.org