[TR] really old gas

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] really old gas
From: "Jeremiah Curry" <jercurry@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 22:23:35 -0700
Howdy,

I recently removed the gas tank from my '57 TR3.  The last owner, my
grandfather, parked the car in 69 and there was still ~2.5 gallons of gas in
the tank.  Of course it is bad (in fact I couldn't get it to burn with a
match)  However the gas did not seem particularly thick as I would expect.
Anyway, question is two-fold

1. how can I tell if I need to have the tank boiled out

2. how can I tell if the gas lines are gunked up?

I guess theres actually one mor... anything else I should be worried about
from a fuel perspective, the carbs were removed for the past 37 years.

thanks,

Jeremiah

===     http://www.vtr.org