Re: [TR] really old gas

To: jercurry@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] really old gas
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:33:32 EST
In a message dated 3/28/2006 11:27:36 PM Central Standard Time,
jercurry@comcast.net writes:
> I recently removed the gas tank from my '57 TR3.  The last owner, my
> grandfather, parked the car in 69 and there was still ~2.5 gallons of gas in
> the tank.  Of course it is bad (in fact I couldn't get it to burn with a
> match)  However the gas did not seem particularly thick as I would expect.
> Anyway, question is two-fold
>
> 1. how can I tell if I need to have the tank boiled out

Visual inspection.  If the car was stored in a dry environment it may be
fine.

> 2. how can I tell if the gas lines are gunked up?

On a car this old it would be good preventative maintenence to replace all
the rubber hose.  While the system is open blow compressed air through the
steel
lines.  If they flow free you may be fine.  If they have been wet the hole
time there is little chance there is a varnish in the lines that will peel off
later and clog things.  But if the lines were left to dry then there may be
some varnish.  Flushing with lacquer thinner may clear that out.

> I guess theres actually one mor... anything else I should be worried about
> from a fuel perspective, the carbs were removed for the past 37 years.

I'll bet the fuel pump diaghram is shot.  Get a rebuild kit and rebuild it
now while the fuel system is apart.  It will save you aggravation down the road.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org