Re: [TR] Battery Hookup, TR3A

To: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Battery Hookup, TR3A
From: "Paul Willoughby" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 19:49:32 -0800
> My '59 TR3A restoration project is coming back from the body shop
> tomorrow.
> I've searched archives and found Randall's recommendation a couple of
> years
> ago to buy the biggest battery that will fit in the box.  Looks like
> Everstart
> Group 27 is a good size.

Another option is the Optima battery.  Available for a reasonable price at
Costco.
I know people who have used them for years and swear by their long lasting,
charge holding characteristics.  They do look out of place in the TR3 engine
compartment, though.  Here's a pic of my Optima TR3:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tr3paul/detail?.dir=eb84&.dnm=36ffscd.jpg&.src=ph

See, something looks out of place, doesn't it?

> So, question.  I haven't seen the way the battery is supposed to be hooked
> up.
> Looking from the front of the car, if I'm converting to negative ground,
> I'd
> want the negative terminal on the right.  Does it matter if this is to the
> rear or the front of the battery itself?

Yes, that's the best way - power cable on the passenger side and ground
cable on the driver side.  Originally, the terminals were in the back, near
the firewall, but it shouldn't matter.

> More importantly, I haven't been able to find a reliable picture on the
> internet as to where the ground strap attaches.  When I took my car apart,
> it
> was attached to the firewall just above the battery box.  A picture I
> found
> web crawling shows it was attached along side the bottom of the battery to
> place where my car doesn't have a hole to do it (meaning it must not be
> stock).

Looking in Piggott's book, pages 20, 59, & 65, show the ground strap bolted
to the firewall above the battery to the right/(driver's side) of the oil
pressure gauge line.  This internet photo shows the same location:
http://www.vtr.org/TR3/shefner/tr3-02.jpg
However, I've been told by many a car enthusiast, (American car guys), that
I should move my ground strap to the engine block.  I think it has something
to do with more efficient starting.

Paul W.
Torrance, CA

===     http://www.vtr.org