RE: [TR] Battery Hookup, TR3A

To: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Battery Hookup, TR3A
From: "Jim Bauder" <jimbpps@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 12:05:00 -0700
Terry,

I think that with the TR3 battery, it is best to have both terminals to the
rear of the battery, next to the fire wall. The battery is held down and in
place by a clamping bar along the front edge of the battery and you do not
want the clamping bar to come in contact with either terminal!!

I have always preferred the group 24 sized battery as I think it most
closely matches the original. In order to have the negative terminal at the
right rear of the battery for a negative ground system, you must specify a
group 24F battery, originally built for '50s Ford cars. The regular group 24
will have the positive terminal at the right rear. These days battery
manufacturers build a combination group 24 with the two terminals in both
centers of the right and left edge of the battery. These of course will work
but I don't like the looks of them, too modern!

The battery ground strap originally went from the right rear terminal
(either positive or negative) to a bolt on the fire wall just above the
battery. The ground strap from the engine to the body went from the left
front engine mount to one of the bolts on the timing cover.

Good luck,

Jim Bauder