Re: [TR] TR6 retard

To: mjackley@iw.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 retard
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 10:52:22 EDT
In a message dated 4/3/2006 9:37:26 AM Central Standard Time, mjackley@iw.net
writes:
> On a 1972 stock TR6 should one detach the vacuum from the distributer to
> disable the retard?  And if the retard is disabled should the vacuum module
> be disconnected from the plate inside the distributer?

If one should then the factory would never have installed it any way.  What
is it you wish to gain by disconnecting it?  It is only active when the
throttles are closed so if you are looking for more performance or fuel economy
this
will make no difference since it is inactive during any open throttle
conditions.

The Retard module will, however, act to stabilize the idle speed which is
kind of nice.  It makes it easier to set the idle speed.  Without it if you set
it when the weather is cool the idle will be higher under warmer conditions and
lower in cold weather.  I find this mildly annoying and the retard module
does a good job of eliminating this on my 71 TR6.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org