[TR] ZS 175CD Carb conundrum

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] ZS 175CD Carb conundrum
From: "Randy&Val DeRuiter" <deruiterville@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 07:19:51 -0500
The rear carb on my TR4 misbehaved again this weekend, spewing gas out of
the top vent and causing me more than one moment of concern.  I pulled the
carb intending to replace the needle valve and to my surprise the source of
the problem was the float - the float was fine but the pivot pin had slid
out of the carb base, causing the float to be misaligned.

I did change out the needle valve to one of those nice ones with a built in
screen, and reassembled the float and pin.  The pin was not sloppy but not a
tight fit either - I did not try to bend it or do anything to fix it to the
pivot post.

Has anyone on the list experienced a similar failure?  I assumed the problem
was due to a PO and a sloppy earlier rebuild, but perhaps that is not the
case.  Is it good to fix the pivot pin somehow so that it does not slide
out?

Thanks,
Randy
64 & 65 TR4s