Re: [TR] The 'magic' of the name lives on? - TR6 with 330

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] The 'magic' of the name lives on? - TR6 with 330
From: Greg <one_second_zero@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 08:31:14 -0700 (PDT)
I would love to see BMW create a "new" TR6 with their S54 inline 6 cylinder
engine (the same one that is in the current M3 and the former Z3M roadster and
coupe).  This engine is roughly the same diminsions as the old TR6 engine, much
lighter, and cranks out 330 horsepower net and has gobs of torque.  (I own a
Z3M Coupe and the car is a frightening rocket with 0 to 60 in sub-five
seconds).   Its the perfect marriage for BMW since they are close to replacing
this "old" S54 engine in the M3's with a new V8 anyway.  That would allow them
to keep using the S54 in the new Triumph line rather than retiring it.  The new
TR6 (based on the performance of the Z3M coupe which weighs about 3000 lbs)
would do 0 to 60 in 4.8 seconds or less (depending on gearing and weight) and
have a top speed (electronically limited, of course) of 155 mph.  And best of
all, based on the exhaust sound of that BMW inline 6 in my M Coupe, it would
sound very similar to the old TR6 exhaust sound through a
 performance exhaust system.

  Now imagine taking the basic styling cues of the Karman TR6 body and updating
it.  Wider track, extremely rigid body structure, lower overall profile, modern
suspension, 18 inch x 9 inch wide wheels, etc.  Picture it.  This car would
absolutely rock!  I know I would give up the college fund to buy one!  ;-)

  The trouble is that I doubt that BMW would ever build this configuration
because its sales would compete with their Z4M.  Maybe they could detune the
engine to make it less of a threat to their BMW line.  ;-)

  -Greg