RE: [TR] Dielectric Grease Properties

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Dielectric Grease Properties
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 13:15:44 -0700
> One explanation I read is that the physical mating of the
> connectors creates
> metal to metal by scraping/squeesing the grease away, leaving the
> grease in
> the microscopic air pockets where it prevents moisture from getting in.

That's pretty close.  I believe it also piles up around the points of
contact, and excludes not only moisture but air as well.  A "gas-tight"
connection is the goal, if there is no air inside the joint, it can't
oxidize.

> Is there a better product that conducts electricity for electrical
> connections,

There are several chemicals on the market that are designed specifically to
improve the long-term conduction of electrical connections, but I haven't
tried any of them yet.  Check the archives, I'm pretty sure Justin Wagner
posted a long time ago about a product he tried and liked.

> Would dielectric help my brain synapses fire better?

Seems unlikely to me.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org