RE: [TR] Gasket Maker vs. Sealer

To: "Guy D. Huggins" <guy@genfiniti.com>,
Subject: RE: [TR] Gasket Maker vs. Sealer
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 19:45:27 -0700
> One of the things I am noticing is the almost interchangeable use of
> "gasket maker" and "gasket sealer".
>
> Both are "jointing compounds", but they have different uses?

Guy, my opinion is that the marketing terms have been so abused over the years
that they are essentially worthless.  For example, Permatex classic "Aviation
Form-a-Gasket"
http://makeashorterlink.com/?C186322FC
is advertised as "non-hardening", but eventually sets up like a rock !

> In all other places you would use the hardening class.

Another consideration, IMO, is ease of eventual disassembly and clean up.
Hylomar is really excellent in this regard.

> Which type of jointing compound would I use on the Fo8 gaskets inside
> the engine.

I use the above-mentioned Permatex product.  Never had a leak, but maybe that's
coincidence.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org