Re: [TR] Negative Pressure in Crankcase -uninformed question

To: Davgil@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Negative Pressure in Crankcase -uninformed question
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 12:42:25 EDT
In a message dated 4/12/06 9:36:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time, davgil@aol.com
writes:

<< However, it seems to me that negative pressure could introduce a reverse
flow into the engine that could allow for the introduction of other
contaminants that would not ordinarily be introduced, and that may not be
burned off
timely. >>

There are some race motor builders that reverse the crank lip seals when
using a vacuum pump to prevent air from entering the crankcase.   Slight dust
in
the oil isn't a concern in most cases.

A road going motor never really pulls a vacuum in the crankcase, air just
circulates through the crankcase.  There is far more moisture generated by a
cold
engine that there is in normal air.

I did have a customer with a Blazer that was getting severe amounts of
moisture in the oil.  The motor checked fine for coolant leaks, turned out they
were
parking in a very damp garage, as in moss on the walls,running water.  After
moving to another parking spot the  moisture problem was gone.

Harold

===     http://www.vtr.org