Re: [TR] oddly nearly overheating

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <ZinkZ10C@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] oddly nearly overheating
From: "Anthony Rhodes" <spamiam@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 09:52:05 -0400
Well, I fixed it.  Since it was simple, I bet you all can guess what the
answer was.

So, here is a summary of the story.

Engine had always run with the temp gauge at the "d" in "Made in UK", just
under 50% scale on the gauge.

I just found it to be running at 7/8ths!  Otherwise everything seemed fine.
The engine was running fine.

Inspecting the engine, I found it not to FEEL excessively hot, but 160 vs.
212 might be subtle to my hands.  The coolant was well topped up.

After thinking about it, I replaced the thermostat, but nothing changed.  I
replaced the sender and nothing changed.  I was beginning to be sure that
something was plugged in the radiator.

Other than the radiator (or engine), there was one other component that
could be the culprit and still have a normal cooling system...  I believe it
was Randall who suggested it.   I had almost dismissed the possibility
because that component is less than 1 year old, and the other gauge it
controls seemed to be reading fine.   That gauge is the fuel gauge.  I
thought about it and decided that it was POSSIBLE that the fuel was reading
high.  I happened to have a spare new stabilizer, so I replaced it.

PRESTO.....  The temp started to read perfectly!!!!  And the Fuel started to
read 1/3 full instead of 3/4 full.  I looked in the tank, and 1/3 is more
likely correct than 3/4!

So, Thanks to everyone for their help.  I WILL drain, rinse and refill my
coolant, and I will use the green stuff instead of the orange Dex-Cool which
has a reputation for clogging some cars.  I am so relieved that I do not
have to mess with the engine nor the radiator, at least not now.

-Tony