Re: [TR] Quest(now even further removed from TR's.)

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Quest(now even further removed from TR's.)
From: "David Brister" <david.brister@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 18:04:26 +0200
Randall writes
>>Except that the US Geological Survey calls this the magnetic declination,
not Variation.

It's never been clear to me why some august bodies in the New World prefer
the term 'magnetic declination' to 'variation' with respect to a compass
needle's difference from true North.

It is true that the USGS get to use seven syllables instead of the four that
we in the rest of the world are used to Could this be connected in any way
with that state of mind that once prompted a leading New World aeroplane
company to put a notice on their flight decks to draw attention to a brake
modification which  read "increased stopping capability incorporated" ?

With flame retardent to hand,

David Brister
1967 TR4A.

===     http://www.vtr.org