[TR] Tr6 Steering wheel and column

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Tr6 Steering wheel and column
From: "Mike Barron" <mbarron37@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 09:39:14 -0500
Group,

Over the last couple of years I have felt that the steering wheel has
channeled more vibration up through the column than it use to, and have
attributed it to the difference between modern cars and 1973.   However, on my
last drive, I decided to play around with it, and noticed that there was a bit
of side-to-side play.

Visual inspection shows that when the wheel is moved up or down, or side to
side, the entire column moves back and forth, not much, but enough to feel
when I hit a bump.  Visual inspection did not reveal any loose nuts or bolts
either in the engine bay or underneath.

First, is this a common condition for the old cars?  If not, has anyone
improved the condition, and how?

Thanks in advance for your thought concerning this.

Mike

Mike Barron CPM GRI
166 Beach Drive
Lake Tapawingo, MO 64015