Re: [TR] Tr6 Steering wheel and column

To: mbarron37@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Tr6 Steering wheel and column
From: acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 11:33:41 -0400
Mike,

Very common condition.  Quite a few people use the steering wheel as an
aid to getting in and out of the car which contributes to the problem.
There are pieces of felt that serve to hold the steering column firmly
that compress over time as well as bushings inside the column that will
show some slop.  I bought a rebuild kit from TRF and took everything
apart.  I ended up using some of the old felt strip in addition to the
new ones to really make it snug.  The project is involved, can be
confusing and  you would need to be rather detailed about how you take
things apart to aide in putting things back together correctly but it
very doable, especially with the help from the list.  I took the
opportunity to clean up some wiring behind the dash, and to clean and
repaint the steering column.  Came out great.  I dont know of any
improvements, maybe others do but I found my column to be pretty nice
once the repair was done and I felt it didnt need any "improvements".

Aaron

Aaron Cropley
71 TR6 (Throttle Body Injection!)
http://www.triumphowners.com/108