Re: [TR] TR3a gas tank

To: "Jim Wallace" <grandfatherjim@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3a gas tank
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 20:41:35 -0400
> Mine has not had fuel run through it in some 30+ years, so thought I would
> have it cleaned out and the insides coated. For allI know the tank may be
> fine anyway; this was just
> intended as a bit of preventive maintenance.
>....what to do?
> Jim

Jim,

It depends.  I think at a minimum, shine a strong light inside and do a
visual.  Also probe with a long magnet through the various holes and see
what it picks up.  If you get anything approximating large flakes of rust,
you'll have an ongoing nightmare of junk clogging your fuel filter or
filling your glass fuel bowl.  Then I would advise filling it with water and
pressurizing it to some extent to spot for leaks.  Holes in tanks can be
small as the head of a pin, and cause grief.  If it passes all these tests,
add a strong solution of Simple Green, soak for a few days, then add a
solution of phosphoric acid for 20 minutes or there abouts.  Flush well.

There are some internal liners you could try, but I've read some of these
separate over time and give you the same kind of problem you were trying to
avoid in the first place.

It would probably be cheaper to source another tank, used or new, than to
pay someone to cut it and re-weld it.

Have fun!
Terry

===     http://www.vtr.org