RE: [TR] TR4A Brake Master Cylinder

To: "Jeremy Kinney" <kinneyjr@msn.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR4A Brake Master Cylinder
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:03:56 -0700
> Is there a major difference in performance between the early TR4 .75" and
> later TR4/TR4A .70" brake master cylinders?  Does the .05" make that much of
> a difference to justify the higher price?

The performance difference isn't huge.  The 0.75 cylinder will give you about
15% less travel (for the same braking) but about 15% more pedal effort.

The price difference has nothing to do with price, it's a supplier issue.

>  I plan on driving this car in the
> Washington, DC, area and would like to enhance performance every chance I
> get.

As usual, there is a tradeoff and you need to identify what aspects of
performance are important to you.  Personally, I like rather 'hard' brakes, as
long as my right leg can still lock the wheels when I want.

> Anybody know of a source for a NOS version of either one?

While I think this is just as unlikely as the servo, I thought I'd mention that
seals get old even sitting on the shelf.  If you do manage to find a 40 year old
MC, you'll probably want to replace the seals in it anyway.

BTW, you might want to talk to Apple Hydraulics or White Post (et al) to see if
your old MC can be salvaged.  They may be able to do an overbore for less than
the cost of new.  Sleeving is more expensive, but the result will last longer
than a new one.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org