Re: [TR] McMaster Carr

To: Michael Andrews <mandrews53@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] McMaster Carr
From: Michael Porter <portermd@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 01:19:25 -0600
Michael Andrews wrote:

>In an idle moment I ordered some nuts and bolts for McMaster Carr--and
>shazam--2 days they are on my doorstep--Now my order ( in stock ) from TRF
>for ring gear bolts is still moseying its way here. Those MC guys are real
>good .FYI, Mike TR2inLA

Generally, I find that the incrementally higher price one pays at
McMaster-Carr is compensated by prompt delivery and accurate fulfillment
of the order.  Over the years, I've lived in many places where local
supply sources simply could not provide what was needed and McM-Carr was
the only option.  Having that option available has been very helpful at
various times.  When I researched suitable materials for suspension
bushings, no one locally had the materials to make the bushings or the
inserts, but McM-Carr did. When I wanted to install some custom
electrical baseboard heaters which would not interface with available
digital setback thermostats, McM-Carr had DIN rack-mount industrial
grade relays to handle that requirement.

I used to complain about the prices, and finally came to the conclusion
that anyone maintaining that sort of widely-varied stock was going to
charge a premium price. Often, it was a question of solving a problem or
doing without.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

===     http://www.vtr.org