RE: [TR] McMaster Carr

To: <CFisher@borgwarner.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] McMaster Carr
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:00:26 -0700
> I used to complain about the prices, and finally came to the conclusion
> that anyone maintaining that sort of widely-varied stock was going to
> charge a premium price.

Exactly !  They keep an enormous inventory, and enough personnel to always
fill orders the same day.  Stocking only fast moving items, ordering stock
"just in time", and letting orders pile up a bit when you get a lot of them
at once lowers costs; but MMC's claim to fame is prompt service on anything
listed in their very extensive catalog.

IOW, you can have it fast, cheap or good, but not all three at once.  MMC
skips "cheap".

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org