[TR] Steering rack and column

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Steering rack and column
From: "Mike Barron" <mbarron37@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 19:26:04 -0500
A few days ago I wrote the list about minor movement in my steering column
causing the car to feel loose recently.   The answers I got were good, and I
am sure that I have gotten wear on the bushings in the column.  However, as I
investigate looseness, I discover that I can see slight movement of the rack
too either when I jiggle the column, or even when I turn the steering wheel
back and forth.

OK, now I know something has to be done, and I have looked at the British
Vicky prices for a new rack, but I would also really appreciate comments from
those of you who have taken the rack out and replaced, or more importantly,
those who know magic fixes to tighten the deal up without replacement.

This is important, because here in Kansas City, we are rapidly running short
of mechanics who will even consider working on these old timers.   If I could
happen onto instructions for eliminating this play, then I am way ahead.   Or,
tell me that they all do this, and to forget about it.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Barron CPM GRI
166 Beach Drive
Lake Tapawingo, MO 64015