RE: [TR] TR3A where I stand

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3A where I stand
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 08:09:42 -0700
> It's got a TR4 distributor on it.  It's also got both a road draft tube and
> a valve cover w/ a cap and vented in the middle- proably for the air filter
> or intake manifold (right?)

Yes, that's right.  Also, on some engines, it was left capped off.

>  And from what said above, this configuration
> then is from differing years.  Do you think I need to change valve covers?

Nah, should be fine.  Cap the vent, or stick a filter on it, so dirt doesn't get
in there.  If you want to, you could even put on the "Y" tube and the air
filters with the fittings, but it's not necessary with the road draft tube &
vented filler cap.

> Maybe too much venting?  Should I plug a hole?  Or maybe I ought to plug the
> road draft tube hole (somehow)?  I wonder if my road draft tube if left open
> will cause obvious pollution to passer-bys, more noise, etc?

With a new engine, the fumes from the road draft tube should be nearly
invisible.  With a tired engine, there can be some blue smoke, but not a great
deal, and people would have to lay on the ground to see it anyway.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org