[TR] low TR6 oil pressure - especially if you're using Castrol oil

To: "Triumphs Digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] low TR6 oil pressure - especially if you're using Castrol oil
From: "Lanoway, Brian" <Brian_Lanoway@standardaero.com>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 09:30:36 -0500
I suffered from low oil pressure in my TR6 - with a newly rebuilt engine - for
8+ years.  Like the Kelly Green TR6 in Dave Massey's post, the pressure in my
TR would drop to 20 PSI at 3000 RPM and near zero at idle when hot.  I tried
everything to get the pressure up.  I calibrated my pressure gauge, I rebuilt
the oil pump and I inspected my new main bearings - only to find nothing
wrong.  I grew to believe that it was the nature of my engine and like Dave, I
convinced myself that good, healthy oil pressure is over-rated if your engine
is also running well....and then I came across Fred Thomas' post to this List
in April, 2004 on low oil pressure - which I've copied below.
It seems that Castrol oil leaves a film on the pressure relief valve - which
prevents the valve from seating properly, which in turn prevents the engine
from reaching a healthy oil pressure.  The solution Fred put forward was
unbelievably simple - if you also happen to be using Castrol 20/50 oil (which
I think most of us do): take the pressure relief valve out, clean it with
lacquer thinner, put it back in and presto, the oil pressure should be right.
This ran against years of commercial indoctrination that Castrol GTX could
never do anything wrong.  Nevertheless, I cleaned the valve, put in a
different brand of oil, and I've had wonderful oil pressure ever since.
This little bit of TR tribal knowledge is invaluable and it needs to be
repeated on the List on a regular basis.  It does work (if everything else is
OK with your engine) and it can save hours and hours of frustration and extra
work for those searching for a solution to their inexplicably low oil
pressure.

Cheers,
Brian Lanoway
1973 TR6