RE: [TR] 3B Head

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] 3B Head
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 09:19:18 -0700
> The head itself looked
> OK but #1 exhaust valve could be rocked back and forth a lot by grabbing the
> spring which could be spun around too.

Worn guides wouldn't explain the spring "going away".  Sounds to me like it was
"rebuilt" last time with worn parts.

> I am hoping the Head can be rebuilt, but this will be the second time.  It
> must have been poorly done the first time since that was only less
> than 20,000 miles ago.

Be sure to check that you are getting oil through the rocker shaft to all the
rockers.  Sometimes the shaft or passages to it can get clogged with oil sludge.
I even had one engine where the rear cam bearing had been installed wrong,
completely blocking oil to the head.

If the guides are shot, there's a good chance the rocker pivots are in bad shape
too ... take a look at them while you've got it apart.  If so, there's a place
out here in CA that does a wonderful job rebuilding TR rocker shafts for less
than the parts cost retail.  They replace the shaft itself, all the bushings,
reface the rockers, replace the adjusters and locknuts as needed (all mine
looked new) and the springs.  ISTR it cost me $250 for two shafts, and they both
look brand new.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org