Re: [TR] 3B Head

To: tr3driver@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] 3B Head
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 14:17:08 EDT
In a message dated 5/9/2006 12:21:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tr3driver@comcast.net writes:

> Worn guides wouldn't explain the spring "going away".  Sounds to me like it
> was
> "rebuilt" last time with worn parts.
> Be sure to check that you are getting oil through the rocker shaft to all
> the
> rockers.  Sometimes the shaft or passages to it can get clogged with oil
> sludge.
> I even had one engine where the rear cam bearing had been installed wrong,
> completely blocking oil to the head.

Randal,
I agree now that I see the head out.  It is possible that it was simply
decked and put back together with the old parts.  The gentleman who did it for
me
was "Old School" and I remember him saying "You don't need hardened seats in a
TR3 Head, That Head is plenty hard enough as is."  He was a good guy but
definitely set in his ways.  He restored the whole car for me "Top Down" as
opposed
to "Frame Off" for not a lot of $. He is no longer with us and I forgive him.

This is the car that has shims under the rocker shaft to compensate for the
head shaving.  I never liked that. There is a hole in the rear shim for oil but
I wonder?
As I said, I am actually happy that it went bad enough that I had to do
something. I did replace the Rocker shaft once already and it still looks good.

Thanks,
Darrell

===     http://www.vtr.org