RE: [TR] NON LBC- NEW AIR COMPRESSOR

To: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] NON LBC- NEW AIR COMPRESSOR
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 08:52:03 -0700
> I have a Sears Oil Free compressor that max's out at 6.8 cfm at 40 CFM.
> (What ever that smoke and mirrors spec. means).

Should be 6.8 cfm @ 40 PSI (not cfm).  What it means is that the compressor will
suck 6.8 cfm when putting out air at 40 psi ... the output volume is quite a bit
smaller.  As a rough approximation, 6.8 cfm in means you're actually getting
about 2.5 cfm out (at 40 psi).

> 2. I need a about double that output to run the blast cabinet nicely.

Even twice that probably isn't going to run your blast cabinet continuously, so
tank size is important too.  Basically the tank makes up the difference between
the compressor output and the air gun consumption, until you stop to change
parts or whatever.  I find having the tank run out first quite annoying.

> Anyway, can anybody suggest a good air compressor to replace what I have?

I'm still trying to answer that one myself.  My "consumer grade" (cheap) Sanborn
never was that good, and it's just about worn out.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org