RE: [TR] Decarboninzation

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Decarboninzation
From: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 00:16:52 -0400
In the "Ask a stupid question" category, my contribution for the evening.  If
the engine isn't dieseling or obvously choked up, do you really want to remove
all the carbon? I have heard it mentioned by hoary old mechanics that the
carbon buildup is good for tightening the piston/cylinder clearance up and for
raising the compression ratio a bit. Getting the excess flakey bits off the
piston tops I can go for, but carefully polishing and cleaning could actually
be counter-productive. Or is that just an old myth from the dawn of time when
dynamite-powered cars were still on people's minds?

Mark
1972 TR6