[TR] Decarboninzation

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Decarboninzation
From: Cosmo Kramer <tr4a2712@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 13:19:05 -0700 (PDT)
Hi List!
Being that I haven't received my latest TRIUMPH Digest
New letter, yet; these replies that I received may
already be on that Digest List. BUT! If it hasn't,
then these are the 3 replies that I've receive
regarding my question on removing carbon off the
Piston Heads.

1- In the UK there was or is a product called RedEx
that is to be poured down the carb throat to clean off
the carbon. The person really didn't know if this
worked or if it's just another 'Snake Oil'.    So, if
any list member wants to reply about this product [if
it's still on the market? OR If it really works or
not. Then please write back about this.]
2- Back in the 80's, GM had a product called: Engine
Cleaner'. [Now if this was really used to clean the
out side of the engine or if it's really for the
inside, I'm not sure, but the person claimed that it
really worked on removing 'Soft' carbon on the Piston
Heads. I may not be able to get it now, because most
cars are PI, & this was to only be used on carbs.
If anyone has their input on this product, Then I'd
like to hear it.
3- The last reply was to pour a 'small' bottle of coke
[I recall the small old bottles were only about 7
oz.?, back then] down the carb's throat with the
engine running at a 'high ideal'. Now how high is a
'high ideal' was never exactly mentioned. The engine
would then have the water turn to steam  & thus
steaming off the carbon.
I do remember reading something about this on this
list several years ago, but can't remember exactly how
the thread ended.

Now I did read in the last TRIUMPH Digest News Letter,
Jerry Van Vlack (JVV)asking how much carbon is to much
carbon on a Piston Head? He also had a GOOD Point
about knowing if one had 'to much carbon' on the
Piston Head WITHOUT removing the Engines Head 1st.
Well I did remove my engine's Head last year to do a
repair, but was more concerned about getting the
repair done to be able to still have some driving
season left. I live about 25 miles from Buffalo NY, &
our average 'driving season' is only about 6 months.

I really would appreciate it if some people would
reply to the 3 suggestions mentioned above. I also
would like to have replies to Jerry's point of: How
much carbon is TO MUCH carbon on a Piston Head? [even
if you did remove the engine's Head.    TIA,

-Cosmo Kramer

===     http://www.vtr.org