Re: [TR] Propshaft TR4A IRS

To: chris.buckley@tz.knightfrank.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Propshaft TR4A IRS
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 09:16:50 EDT
In a message dated 5/18/2006 11:48:26 PM Central Standard Time,
chris.buckley@tz.knightfrank.com writes:
> I remember reading on the list that the splines of the propshaft need to be
> engaged so the yokes (attached to the universals) of the propshaft are lying
> in the same plane. Is this correct?

So I have heard from reliable authorities.

> I have just discovered that mine are about 30deg out of synch and the car
> has a bit of a vibration from down under. Could this be the problem and is
> it possible to set right from under the car? The prop shaft runs above the
> 'T shirt" reinforcing plate with standard exhaust.

Possibly.  It's worth a try.  If you take the front flange loose from the
transmission it may drop down far enough to allow the front half of the shaft
be removed from the rear half (be sure to undo the threaded cap) and reindex
the two halves.

But disconnecting the rear flange from the differential and withdrawing the
whole shaft isn't that much more work.  I think.  I've done it on an early TR6.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org