[TR] Completed Alternator conversion on TR4 today - anyone got a

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Completed Alternator conversion on TR4 today - anyone got a
From: "Chris Simonsen" <ccsimonsen@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 19:04:42 -0400
Hi All,

Took about 3 and a half hours due to some un anticipated problems along the
way,  but the alternator conversion went well. Works good - miss the control
box and may need to gut my control box to tie wires together.  -  I hate to
kill a good control box - Anyone got a bad one out there they are willing to
part with?

I did not butcher any wiring and can go back to the generator without
evidence if I ever wish to. All the pieces are boxed up carefully should
that day arrive (or to go with the car should I not be buried in it).

Found a pulley (of all things used for  6v tractor conversions) on the net
(A203 - found several places) and the local farm store had one. The rest of
the conversion went like the many postings I've read.  Cut about a quarter
inch off the lower boss on the alternator and it lined up fine. Was using
the TRF cogged pulley already and it fits just fine.

No mods to the upper bracket.  Everything lined up fine.

The wiring went without incident (thanks Dan Masters - info was available
from VTR without password....nice) - I added the large wire from the alt to
the solenoid as I (used to always have a dead battery) did not want to have
the potential to fry wiring.

The lights are a brighter shade of yellow and the horn even works again!!!

Thanks to all that helped directly or indirectly!!

Chris

63 TR4

===     http://www.vtr.org