RE: [TR] Which radiator is better

To: "Jeremiah Curry" <jercurry@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] Which radiator is better
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 08:16:59 -0700
John Wise wrote :

> For about $200 I had my old one re-cored with a modern core (more
> fins & tubes) sans the crank hole

I did too, but only after the radiator shop tested my original radiator for
efficiency and said that, even though it didn't leak, it didn't cool properly.
Something about the fins not being in good thermal contact with the tubes.

> I highly recommend that approach...

Ditto.  Not sure my Modine core has more fins & tubes, but it does have the fins
welded to the tubes, to ensure good thermal contact.

AFAIK, the original cores all had square crank holes.  I suspect your "round
hole" is a previous recore.  My radiator shop said they could put the crank hole
into the new core (at extra cost) but that it reduced the cooling ability of the
radiator.  I opted to give up the hole.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org